In 2012, the Indiana legislature took steps to completely phase out Indiana's inheritance tax by January 1, 2022. But on Saturday, the legislature voted to significantly accelerate repeal of the tax, retroactively to January 1, 2013. Governor Mike Pence is expected to sign the bill into law in short order. To review the text of the bill, refer to House Bill 1001.
Update: Governor Pence signed the bill into law on May 8, 2013: It's Official - Indiana's Inheritance Tax Has Been Repealed, Retroactively.
- Inside Indiana Business - Lawmakers Wrap Up Session
- Overview of Indiana Inheritance Tax Laws - 2011 and Prior Years
- Overview of Indiana Inheritance Tax Laws - 2012
- Understanding Death, Estate, and Inheritance Taxes
- What's the Difference Between an Estate Tax and an Inheritance Tax?
- State Inheritance Tax Chart
- State Estate Tax and Exemption Chart