Model and actress Anna Nicole Smith, also known as Vickie Lynn Marshall, Vickie Lynn Smith and Vickie Lynn Hogan, died on February 8, 2007, and her will was filed in the Broward County, Florida, probate court on February 16, 2007. A complete review of the 17-page will, which was signed by Anna Nicole Smith using the name Vickie Lynn Marshall on July 30, 2001, reveals the following:
- At the time Anna Nicole Smith signed the will, she only had one child, Daniel Wayne Smith. Daniel died on September 10, 2006, three days after his half sister, Dannielynn, was born.
- The will specifically excludes future spouses as well as future children born to Anna Nicole Smith.
- Smith's entire estate was to be held in trust for the benefit of Daniel until he reached the age of 35.
- Smith's attorney and boyfriend, Howard Stern, Esq., was named to serve as Trustee of Daniel's trust.
- Howard Stern, Esq., then Ron Rale, Esq., then Eric James Lund, Esq., were named to serve as Executors of Smith's estate.
- Howard Stern, Esq. was named to serve as Daniel's guardian if he was still a minor at the time of his mother's death. Daniel was 20 when he died.
Of note is the fact that the will is silent as to who should inherit Anna Nicole Smith's estate if Daniel predeceased her since she specifically disinherited any future spouses and children. Since Daniel did predecease his mother, this would mean that Smith's closest living relatives other than Dannielynn would inherit her estate. Those relatives, however, must have agreed to allow Dannielynn to inherit her mother's entire estate since the media has reported that she would step into her mother's shoes and inherit from the estate of J. Howard Marshall if and when his estate is finally settled.